Monday, February 26, 2007

letter

Today I went to the mailbox. I usually don't do this, but I was home this afternoon and my mom wasn't, so I went. I opened it up and grabbed the wad of mail. Back in the house I started sorting it out to put it in everyone's personal mailbox (aka: the kitchen table). Some for my parents, some for Amelia, some for Alicia. Then I saw it. I got a letter. Not just any letter, a letter from Kennesaw State University. I live in fear of these letters. Over my extended college career these letter have always been the bearer of bad news. My heart sank when I saw the envelope. What could it be? I'm doing better in school. I'm almost done. Graduation is in sight. I am nervous. On closer examination I see that the letter is from the College of Education and then I really start to freak out. There must be a problem with my student teaching. Oh no. Even though I'm home alone I feel the need to lock myself in the bathroom to view the contents of this letter. I shut the door and stare at the envelope preparing myself for the worst. I begin to tear the seal. I open it up hold my breath and begin to read. "Dear Lindsay: It is with great pleasure that I congratulate you on being a member of the Dean's list this past term." Pleasure. Congratulate. Dean's List. These are not terms that I am familiar with reading in letters from KSU. I look again. It has my name and my address. It is to me. I made the Dean's List!! I have been in college for 7 years and never once have I made the Dean's List. This is a milestone and my education career. It has been hard. I have struggled against it so many times. I have wanted to drop out. I still do a lot of times. I have not done my best most of the time. I have failed. I have withdrawn. I have just stopped going. And now I have made the Dean's List. It has not all been in vain. This unending pursuit has an end in sight. Not only will I finish, but I will finish strong. On good terms. On the Dean's List.

Most days I think that I don't need a college degree. I don't need one. I don't even necessarily want one. But I can have one. I have the option. I look at my parents, especially my dad and know that he would have wanted a chance for a college degree, but he didn't have the option. My dad is so smart and brave. He is a true student. He loves learning. And now at 55 years old going back to school is an option for him and he is going to do it! My dad going to college!! I think that is awesome. I admire him so much. So as I keep walking this road to graduation I will think of my dad. Of the opportunity that I have that he had to wait half his life for.

When I get my diploma, it will be a celebration of so many things. Of the long road that lead me here. Of the countless people who have stood beside me on the way. This letter reminds me of that. This is not something that I have done on my own. You all share a part. This is our letter. Our day to celebrate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so very proud of you!

tiffany beaver said...

i am SO proud of you!!! i knew you could do it! don't give up . . . you're almost there!!! it's the end of the race that counts - and you're doing great!!! love ya much!

Anonymous said...

I am so very very very proud of you! I can't say that enough times! I love you Lind-Z!!!

staceycb said...

I'm so proud of you! You're doing great, just like we knew you would! I love you!!!!!

from the inside out said...

Way to go Lindsay!!! That's so cool about your Dad too. I admire you and your determination. You are my hero!!!

tanya said...

hey you - congrats from africa. i'm proud of you too. i'm been to an african rave... a real rave... it was nearly intoxicating!