Friday, February 23, 2007

Experiment

I've been silently contemplating this blog experiment for a while now. You see, I used to be an avid journalist. I loved to record my thoughts and my life in a way that I could look back and see where I've been and where I've come to. Something happened though. I just can't do it anymore. It's just gone. I want to want to, but I just don't. I look at my journal and it's just empty. No words. No life. That's how I feel. For the past year, I have maybe 5 journal entries. When I look at that I feel empty and dead, like nothing in my life was worth recording. What is sad is that is true. There wasn't anything in my life last year that was worth putting on paper. That which did happen in my life, I would never want to put on paper. It would be too hard. Much has changed. God has rescued me in a major way. He has filled my life with incredible goodness. With life and love. With friends. With community. That is the stuff I want to remember. But I just can't get it in the stinking journal. Maybe I've just gotten too lazy to actually pick up the pencil and write. I don't know. I just know that I don't want to look back and have no record of this incredible time in my life. So I figure I'll give this a try. I spend so much time on the computer, maybe this will act as a pre-journal journal. It could never take it's place. There is just something about looking at your own handwriting. It's like a time machine. In an instant you can be back to the day you first wrote it, remembering what you were feeling, what was going on. It's good for us to have that record of our lives, our history. So, I'm hoping this little blogging experiment will resurrect the part of my heart that loves to journal, that my life will flow off this screen and onto the pages of my journal.

5 comments:

tiffany beaver said...

i'm SO GLAD you've joined the blog ring! i have been so encouraged since i buckled back in january. and i'm totally with you on the journaling thing. i have a box full of them from middle schoo, high school, and early college . . . and the one i'm on now i think i started in 2003 and it's nowhere near half full. i think my problem is a combination of fatigue and laziness. regardless of my excuses, it makes me sad that i don't journal anymore either. but this blogging thing is definitely helping me to process the amazing things God is doing in the absence of my journal. i love ya tons!!! see ya SOON!

from the inside out said...

Yeah Lindsay!!! I'm so excited about your blog! Welcome to blogworld! I hope this will lead you back to your journal of written thought. Blogging is cool, can even be life changing, but there's nothing like a journal.
heart, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady!
I can't wait to see you tomorrow... can't wait to have lunch and sit down with you - it has been WAY too long!
I am so proud of you! The insights you have are invaluable to my life.
I love you!

Anonymous said...

lindsay! you've arrived on the blogging scene and i'm so excited! looking forward to your posts, your thoughts, and your wisdom! i'm glad we share in this journey of life together!

The Hudgins said...

i can't believe we're #1 on the list of great blogs. sweet. we love and miss you!!! come visit us...we'll be homeowners again soon.
i know i'll enjoy your blog and will be linking our page with yours SOON.
have a great weekend...our church votes to call Asah as pastor THIS SUNDAY...so please keep us in your prayers.
Tara